So, you’re hanging around the pool and decide that you could go for a refreshing cocktail. You think something like a frozen piña colada sounds good…..well, not unless you want to give up most of your calories for the day. One piña colada can contain up to 650 calories. That’s more calories than a Big Mac!!! Then what should those of us wanting to be fit reach for when we want a cool, summer concoction?
First, the breakdown of calories in liquors. (Calorie count is approx. average, per 1 fluid oz.)
- Rum, vodka & tequila – 64 (Note: Flavored rum such as Parrot Bay Coconut Rum is only 51 calories which is a surprise to me)
- Gin – 73
- Whiskey & Scotch – 70
- Liqueurs – 100 (this amount does vary because of the wide array of products)
One thing to keep in mind – the higher the proof, the higher the calorie count.
Second, the mixers. This is where things can really start adding up. (Calorie count approx. per cup or 8 fluid ozs.) Here are some basics.
- Juices – range from 96 cals. (grapefruit) to 117 cals (unsweetened cranberry) to 152 cals. (grape). Obviously, I can’t list them all or we’d be here all day but the point is that most juices can rack up the calorie count.
- Cola – roughly 90 cals. but that’s 8 oz and a can contains 12 oz (111 cals.)
- Water (plain or sparkling) – 0 cals. ,clearly a great choice and they are even available in flavors now.
Lastly, some recipe ideas to test out our newfound knowledge, courtesy of Women’s Health Magazine.
- WATERMELON LIMEADE
2 oz Slim Lizzy’s Cosmopolitan
2 lime wedges
1/2 oz agave nectar
3 watermelon cubes
1 oz silver tequila
Mix watermelon cubes, fresh lime juice from wedges, and agave nectar in a glass. Shake Slim Lizzy’s Margarita and silver tequila together, and then strain over fresh ice. Garnish with a lime wedge.
147 calories per serving
Recipe courtesy of Slim Lizzy’s
- SUMMER LOVIN’
4 oz VOGA Italia Premium Sparkling
1 oz of vanilla vodka
Splash of pomegranate juice
Lime for garnish
Add vodka and pomegranate juice to a cocktail shaker with ice and shake gently. Strain into a chilled martini glass and top off with VOGA Italia Premium Sparkling. Garnish with a lime.
150 calories per serving
Recipe courtesy of VOGA Italia Sparkling
- ISLAND MIMOSA
1 1/2 oz Blue Chair Bay Banana Rum
2 oz Sparkling wine
1 strawberry, chopped
1 lemon wedge
Mix strawberry and lemon in a mixing glass. Add Blue Chair Bay Banana Rum and ice and shake well. Strain into a champagne flute. Top with sparkling wine, and garnish with a strawberry slice.
143 calories per serving.
Recipe courtesy of Blue Chair Bay
The real key though, is to always drink in moderation. Overindulgence is not only unhealthy but it outright just doesn’t feel good, i.e. hangovers. TNT wants everyone to have fun, healthy and safe summer.
Phone: (704) 549-9550